Saturday 27 March 2010

MORE THOUGHTS ON GETTING BACK TO THE WORK

Things are improving. The walking approach has helped. The "writing questions to my characters" and letting their answers start the engine of the plot again has helped.

However, after my various school visits, the thought of writing the whole Tome Two Task feels daunting. So daunting that I had to get my IT Expert to remove the cover of Tome One from its place as my screensaver!

So I have lately developed a sneaky, crafty approach.I have begun creeping up on the damn thing unexpectedly, so the Tome doesn't have time to grow to its full scary size.

I wander to the key-board, having left, for example, the supper simmering on the stove. I scroll down the already opened m/s. Suddenly, with a few swift strokes, I've snuck in a phrase or two, got the intended scene started after all. A few lines, and the thing has started to come to life again. Now what's that scent of burnt risotto?

2 comments:

  1. Love the idea of creeping up and surprising your story. I must try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It worked for a while, Linda, and I felt almost smug. But then came Easter and the arrival of family with chicken-poxy child, and now some anxious preparation for a talk with or without powerpoint.

    Creeping service will resume next week. Good luck with your own writing!

    ReplyDelete