Sunday 24 January 2010

AND SCURRYING AND . . . COLLAPSING!

Grrr! Just when you think you're on top of it all, along comes the spanner and drops straight into the works. Thursday night brought some horrid, shivery, fluey two-hot-water bottle bug that suddenly reminded me that you can still have malaria after getting back from India. (India? You can read about it on the "Awfully Big Blog Adventure"and more beside. Even though I have so much to do just now, it was a case of aching fingers quadruply-crossed under the duvet as I slowly recovered.

Only got up late today, but I have started re-reading Solutions for Novelists: Secrets of A Master Editor by Sol Stein. An excellent book - if such books help you with your work - that speaks about the secrets behind "readable" writing. Candy Gourlay, an exciting new children's writer, has even got Solutions as one of her blog sponsors - how,I ask?

Because if there's one thing I want, it is that my books will be easy to read. That's not easy as in boring reading schemes but as in books where the story is told in a clear, interesting, rhythmic and pacey way, with occasional words and phrases that surprise or delight or intrigue a young reader. A story that can't help but be un-put-downable.

Is that too much to ask? Maybe the fever's still got me . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment