Thursday 9 September 2010

So it's not only me!

Oh, Jules! At the moment, I am working most briskly on an adaptation of Journey to the Centre of the Earth, and was amused, working my way through the pages, to find a plot full of small holes, and by that I don't mean Verne's Very Bad Science.

For example, the luggage that filled a garden in Germany and a cottage on arrival in Iceland becomes small enough to fit on the back of two Icelandic horses for the cross country journey. Then, after hardly more than a hint about the kit being carried UP the volcano by a few local men (and the horses never mentioned again, munch, munch) there is no account of these helpers going back!

So is this why Hans (the strong-but-silent-man-of-all-work and guide) ropes Axel and Uncle Otto together as they descend the crater? Had the porters already fallen into the fiery crucible? Or is it a cover up? Were the porters pushed? Must avoid such ripples in the imagination and pace onwards.

Must add that, studying my notes, I feel faintly relieved that I am not the only one who repeats phrases over and over again when writing. Yours, trembling again with fear and terror, Penny

1 comment:

  1. Oh, this is so funny. I re-read 'Journey' the other month, and I didn't notice any of this! I was just swept up in the amazing adventure.

    ReplyDelete