Thursday 24 June 2010

There Are Cats In This Book!



Just to show that I'm not totally preoccupied with Tome One and Tome Two in this blog, I want to mention someone else's book. I came across THER ARE CATS IN THIS BOOK, a totally effective and delightful flip-the-page picture book last week when calling into the tiny but well-filled Aldersbrook Library in Wanstead.

It has a really easy but interesting use of pages and page shapes, together with three beautifully drawn cats: one red almost-kitten, one thin blue anxious cat, and one huge yellow tom-cat. Tiny, Moonpie and Andre, though the names aren't needed for the story.

There's a flip-over-flap saying "biff!" on the pillow fight spread that kept a 3 year old boy flapping and laughing so much I almost feared for the pages. Mind you, he loved it all, and so did his six year old sister, and so did several big people too!

Thank you for this great book, Viviane Schwarz.

2 comments:

  1. I do love books like this but find them frustrating too from an 'author that can't illustrate' point of view as I feel you'd need to words and the pictures to entice a publisher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds lovely - wish I knew a three-year old to give it to!

    ReplyDelete