Saturday 6 November 2010

The Way Through the Woods

I am just typing up Kipling's familiar poem. I will, possibly, read it aloud during some creative writing workshops on the theme of trees. And I have just realised - though I must have seen it so many times before - that the poem itself uses the word "road", not "way".

Think I'll have to talk to my young writers about that word. "Road" now is petrol-fumed, tarmac-crusted and noisy. I hope their imaginations will reach beyond the A1 and M62.

Can recall finding the Carrick Roads on a map. A highly pleasurable language leap.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Penny, I so love that poem! How wonderful that you will introduce it to some young writers! And thinking about it, you can have sea roads, too - in nautical parlance. It's like 'gate' meaning road up in the North.

    ReplyDelete